I opened the jar and stared at the dark coloured contents. I took a deep breath. Oh sure, I was being dramatic. But the contents of the little jar sitting in front of me are polarizing. Love or hate. And most say that those who love it, acquired the taste. I did not have time to acquire a taste. It was this or nothing. I was going to make muffins with Marmite.
I'm not going to lie to you, if you don't like Marmite, these muffins are not for you. I could have added more cheese. I could have used less Marmite. Hidden that very bold Marmots taste. But that wouldn't be in keeping with the theme of my year and the theme of this month's Muffin Monday. Leap of Faith.
I went all in.
I still don't know how I feel about Marmite. At this point, I neither love it or hate it. I was wary when I first bit into a muffin. But I happily took the next few bites. Maybe I'm already acquiring a taste for Marmite? I better. That tiny jar was pricey!
Here's to a year of taking leaps! Be sure to check out all the other muffins today.
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons Marmite
Whisk together flour and baking powder. Add the grated cheese and toss to evenly distribute.
In a separate bowl, whisk milk, oil, egg and Marmite.
Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Divide among 10-12 muffin wells. Bake at 425F for 5 minutes, lower heat to 350F for another 13-15 minutes.
Add more cheese!! Sprinkle tops with cayenne or paprika and cheese
- Berry Mango Swirl Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Brown Sugar, Pistachio and Garam Masala Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Carrot Muffins from Kelli's Kitchen
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Cardamom Browned Butter from The Spiced Life
- Marmite Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Prawn and Curry Leaf Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Rosewater Banana White Chocolate Muffins from Making Miracles
- Spinach, Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.