This month's Bundt Bakers is a particularly fun one - hidden surprises. I've been meaning to do a Bundt with a filling or another type of surprise since the second month of Bundt Bakers. However, each month, I've found an excuse to go in another direction. When Anshie chose this month's theme, I was excited. I had a million ideas! I couldn't wait to bake. However, I knew that I had two other cakes to make this month so I needed to keep things simple. The simplest thing to do would be to pull out my never-used Babycakes Cake Pop Maker and bake a polka dot Bundt. Easy, right? Not when my brain is involved.
Flavours? Colours? I have a health-related anniversary next week so I'm big on all things teal (and grey) right now. But what about that pesky brown ring the cake pop maker is likely to leave? What about the batter itself? If the batter isn't thick enough, the balls might float. Same batter for the cake and balls? I was driving myself and my friends crazy. Eventually, I just had to stop and bake. Chocolate balls. Vanilla for the rest.
I eventually got it out and poured over a fudge sauce. While this sauce is absolutely delicious on cake (and ice cream!), I do not recommend pouring it over your cake before serving. It causes a bit of a mess when it's time to slice the cake because it doesn't set like a glaze or ganache. I got chocolate everywhere while slicing. But I'm also a bit of a klutz so there's that. I used it because I was hiding the part where my cake stuck and I really wanted that sauce. Nothing else. I'm not completely satisfied with my polka dots. I wish they hadn't moved! However, them moving led to each slice being different. Some showed one dot, some two, and others showed three.That, I did like.
But enough of my rambling. You, dear reader, have lots of hidden surprises to look at today. Scroll down to see the list!
Chocolate and Vanilla Polka Dot Bundt
Recipe by: Kelly Adapted from: Babycakes Cake Pops Instruction Manual
Yield: One 9 inch Bundt
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup hot coffee
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
Cake Balls -
Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Add buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla. Blend until smooth. Add the coffee and continue mixing until the coffee is evenly incorporated.
Fill each reservoir of the cake pop maker with a tablespoon of batter. Bake 3 1/2 - 4 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
Vanilla Cake - Preheat oven to 350. Thoroughly grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time then add the vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Starting and ending with the flour mixture, alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture.
Add approximately a cup of batter to the bottom of the pan and then add a third of the cake balls. Cover the balls completely with about another cup of batter then add another layer of balls. Cover those balls and then add a third layer of balls. Cover with the remaining batter.
Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Be careful though, you may hit an already cooked cake ball when you test!
- Almond Crunch Cake - Magnolia Days
- Balsamic Strawberries Bundt Cake - Our Good Life
- Banana Maple Bundt Cake with Chocolate Star - Un Mordisco Un Pecado
- Black and White Surprise Bundt Cake - Patty's Cake
- Chocolate and Vanilla Polka Dot Bundt - Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Oreo Cheesecake Filling - Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Peanut Butter Bundt Cake - Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Citrus Raspberry Bundt - Noshing With The Nolands
- Confetti Zebra Cake - Eat, Drink, Be Mighty
- Cookie Dough Bundt Cake - Liv for Cake
- German Mozarthupf - A Kingdom for a Cake
- Graham Cracker Bundt Cake with Key Lime Cheesecake Swirl - Brooklyn Homemaker
- KitKat Surprise Bundt Cake -Simply Veggies
- Lemon Blueberry Van Halen Bundt - Food Lust People Love
- Orange and Strawberry Jam Bundt Cake - Baking Yummies
- Pear and Blue Cheese Bundt - Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Polka Dot Bundt Cake - Brunch with Joy
- Raspberry Filled Lemon Bundt - A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Real Nutella Bundt Cake - Baking in Pyjamas
- Savory Monkey Bread Stuffed Bundt - Adventures in All Things Food
- Sour Cream Boozy Hazelnut Bundt Cake - Sidewalk Shoes
- Spring Break S'mores Cake - Tea and Scones
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bundt Cake - Basic N Delicious
- Strawberry Twinky Bundt Cake - I Love Bundt Cakes
- Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake - Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies
- Surprise Bundt - Mummy & Cute
- Surprise Filled Chocolate Bundt Cake - Media Ración Doble, Por Favor
- Surprise Inside Carrot Bundt Cake- Making Miracles
- Triple Lemon Bundt Cake - Baking and Creating with Avril
- Tropical Surprise Bundt Cake - Spice Roots