Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Ginger Coconut Macaroons - Foodie Extravaganza



Lately, I've been trying to make more things that remind me of home. It's, however, not that easy to find something that fits into each group's theme. For Foodie Extravaganza this month, we're celebrating eggs. That should be easy, right? Not quite.I wanted a dish that used eggs as an integral part. But I couldn't think of anything Jamaican that did. I thought I'd have to go with our neighbour to the north (Cuba) and make a flan. I was ready to start being when I came across a macaroons recipe. Flan went out the window.

Let's be clear. There's nothing remotely Jamaican about macaroons. Nothing. But macaroons are my mother's favourite cookie and a cookie that I need to master before I see her next. She loves all things coconut so I could always distract her with another coconut item (it was a coconut cheesecake the last time). But I really want to get better at cookies, in general. I added ginger because my favourite coconut treat is a simple mixture of ginger, coconut and caramelized brown sugar (drops). If I were stranded on a deserted island, I'd probably figure out how to make coconut sugar and so I could make drops.

Be sure to scroll down to see how others are celebrating National Egg Month.

Ginger Coconut Macaroons

Yield: ~ 12 cookies

Ingredients
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups shredded coconut
2 teaspoons grated ginger

Directions
Heat oven to 325 F. Line a cookie sheet Ruth parchment or a baking mat.

Beat egg whites, sugar and salt until foamy and the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the coconut and grated ginger.

Drop rounded tablespoons onto the cookie sheet.

Bake 17-20 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Immediately remove from cookie sheets.

Notes
I like a lot of ginger and two teaspoons was not enough for me. It was just mild. Feel free to use more!


:
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month we celebrate National Egg Day on June 3rd by serving up egg dishes of all kinds.

Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to participate in the next Foodie Extravaganza, just go to our Facebook page to join. We would love to have you!

Follow our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest board for past events and more deliciousness!

10 comments:

  1. Your Mom will love these. I know I would. Thanks for joining me this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look SO yummy!! I want to sink my teeth into one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coconut macaroons are one of my favorites as well, Kelly. I loooooove the addition of ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new fan of coconut, I used to think I didn't like it and now I love it! These look wonderful. I have never made macaroons, but would like to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! I might just change my plans and make these for teachers' gifts tonight. Last day of school is tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these. I haven't made macaroons in so long, and yours look fabulous! I bet the ginger is amazing! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Kelly. My mum would have loved this. She just loved ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coconut and ginger sounds like a lovely combination, these look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog post is very impressive, I almost read all the articles you wrote. Contains a lot of useful information. Thank you! 바카라사이트
    (mm)

    ReplyDelete