Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Oat Breadsticks - #BreadBakers


Oats - an ingredient that I use almost every day. An ingredient that I like to toss into most loaves of bread. An ingredient that made its way into my beloved ice cream. Oats - the theme for this month's Bread Bakers. Sounds perfect for me, right? Yeah, I thought so too. But the days ticked by and I couldn't think of anything to make. Had I reached my oats saturation point? I first made one of my most favorite sourdough loaves. It's a simple but delicious sandwich bread that holds a special place in my heart because it's the first sourdough bread that I got "right".

It was still as delicious as I remembered. I took some pictures. But I wasn't satisfied. It just didn't feel like the bread I wanted to share this month. I whined to a friend and he reminded me about the sourdough porridge bread he had sent me months before. I reminded him about my serious porridge aversion. Back to the thinking board.


Later that week I was craving bread sticks and I did what I often do - threw some oats in. They were really soft and really really good. I love how easy it is to customise them. You can brush them with whatever you like - garlic + butter, herbs + butter or even cheese + butter. Just don't forget the butter. For this batch, I used some thyme. But on a subsequent batch, it was cinnamon and sugar.

 If you're looking for some oat inspiration, I know I am, the Bread Bakers have quite the list for you - approximately 30 ways to use oats in your dough. Thanks, Rocio for hosting! Enjoy!




Oat Breadsticks
Recipe by: Kelly  
Yield: ~ 9 breadsticks

Ingredients
Dough
35 grams old fashioned rolled oats
12 grams sugar
6 grams salt
170 grams really hot water
240 grams flour
1 t instant yeast
14 grams oil

 Topping
2 tablespoons melted butter, warm
1- 2 teaspoons, chopped herbs

Directions
Combine oats, sugar, salt and hot water in a large bowl. Cover and let sit for at least an hour. To the bowl, add flour, yeast and oil. Knead until you have a smooth, soft dough. This will take about 6 or 7 minutes. It should be tacky but not sticky. 

Place dough in an oiled container. Cover and let rise until doubled. 

Combine the topping ingredients and set aside.

Preheat oven to 425 F.  

When dough has risen, divide into 9 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 7 - 9 inch log. Place each log on a greased baking sheet or a parchment lined baking sheet. I used an 18" x 13" half sheet pan with each placed about an inch apart. Cover and let rise until doubled. 

Bake for 5 minutes or just until set. Brush with half the melted butter + herbs and return to the oven. Bake for another 5 - 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining butter + herbs. 

Serve warm.
Notes
  • Letting the oats sit for a while in water allows them to soften. The oats will then be less likely to tear the gluten strand. You can start with cool water and let it sit longer - even overnight.
  • Do not use the oat mixture if the temperature if still above the liquid temperature recommended by the manufacturer of your yeast

BreadBakers

Oatmeal Bread themed #BreadBakers:

Oatmeal Bread themed #BreadBakers:

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.
post signature

16 comments:

  1. Reminds me I need to make breadsticks soon. Yours look so good and I want to grab one right out of screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not made breadsticks in forever! Yours look divine. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried making breadsticks like this but think I'll have to now! These look incredible, especially with the herb/garlic butter spread on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious and perfect breadstick !! Tahnks for your recipe Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love breadsticks and this recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous idea to change the traditional bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Tossing in oats! I LOVE breadsticks! (don't forget to update the html links)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to use breadsticks. I would never have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love breadsticks. Probably more than I love bread. Yours looks so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly how divine! I so would not have thought of this. Well-done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breadsticks would be so nice to serve with my meal tonight to friends. I wish I had planned ahead and had these made already. I do need to learn more about your oats in the ice cream recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Breadsticks with oats sounds absolutely delicious. They are looking amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oats breadsticks looks so good and sounds healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could eat all nine of these by myself, Kelly. Bread sticks with butter slathered on are the BEST. I love that you throw oats in everything!

    ReplyDelete