Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Avocado Mini Bundts - #BundtBakers


For this month's Bundt Bakers, Andrea challenged us sneak in something healthy into our cakes. I was stumped. The last time that I tried to sneak something into dessert, things did not go so well. I'm looking at you black bean brownies. You tasted like beans! Such a waste of chocolate. I keep seeing people talk about their amazing black bean brownies so I am guessing that I did something really wrong. Other than add black beans to perfectly good brownies, that is.

Avocadoes are in season here and there are always at least 2 or 3 in the kitchen and we go through them quickly. I've used avocado in a drink before and loved it so I figured trying avocado in a cake would go over well enough. I've read before about using avocado to replace some of the fat in a cake. But most of the recipes tend to be chocolate cakes. I love chocolate cake but wondered if the chocolate would just be covering up whatever the avocado added. I decided to go with a simple vanilla cake.

Much to my surprise, it worked. For the most part. The crumb had a tiny hint of green. There was nothing else to signify that there was avocado in mix. But the cakes felt a bit heavy. I figured this was the price one pays for cutting out that much fat from butter. As I was closing my recipe notebook, I realised that I had made a mistake. I used milk instead of buttermilk. That buttermilk made a huge difference to the texture!



Avocado Mini Bundts
(yield: 6 1 cup capacity mini Bundts)

Ingredients
270 grams flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pureed avocado
2 tablespoon butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Thoroughly grease and flour 6 one cup capacity mini Bundt pans.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl beat the avocado, butter and sugar until thoroughly combined. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
Alternate adding the buttermilk and the flour, mixing until just combined. Once it's all incorporated beat for an additional 20 seconds being careful not to overmix.
Divide among the prepared pans and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean..


BundtBakers

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.


post signature

7 comments:

  1. Great idea, using the avocado Kelly. I'll bet these were delicious even the first time without the buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using avocado in smoothies, and have used it before in a banana bread - these little cakes look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try making this little bundt cake. Such a nice idea. I love that you tired it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome idea of using Avocado... Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you used avocado in your Bundt…a little green never hurt anyone! These sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, YES! We had a black bean brownie fail, too...
    Avocado is a much better sneak. I've used it in chocolate cupcakes before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not have small bunt pan. Can you use a 10 inch bunt pan?

    ReplyDelete