Pages

Monday, October 30, 2023

Pumpkin Stout Raisin Muffins - #MuffinMonday




Pumpkin + Stout + Raisins = Huh?

Let me explain. Some time ago, I saw a Jamaican chef Andre Cooks post about a sweet potato ice cream with Guinness-rehydrated raisins that he used to sell. I immediately thought of reworking it with pumpkin into muffins. But life lifed and I never made them. He reposted it recently so the bug bit me again.  Then the extra push was given by another Jamaican chef, Morris Time Cooking, who posted a recipe for pumpkin punch. 

Jamaicans love to blend things up and then drink it. This Jamaican? Not so much. Pumpkin punch is pumpkin, spices, condensed milk, and Dragon Stout (a Jamaican stout similar to Guinness). There are two nopes on that ingredient list. I don't drink milky drinks and I don't like Dragon Stout nor Guinness. I'm a walking contradiction though because my favourite ice cream is a stout ice cream from a world-renowned ice cream shop here (Devon House). Ask National Geographic how good it is if you doubt me. 

So yes, put that all together and now you have these muffins. 

I'm not the only one with amazing muffins for you this Monday. Scroll down for more deliciousness!


Pumpkin Stout Raisin Muffins 
Yield: 18 muffins

Ingredients

3/4 cup raisins 
3/4 cup Dragon Stout (or a stout of your choice)
15 oz of pumpkin puree ( I made my own)
1/2 cup oil 
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup sugar 
295 grams flour 
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


Directions

Soak the raisins in the Dragon Stout until plump. I soaked mine overnight. 

Grease a muffin pan. I used my standard and mini pans. The recipe makes about 18 standard-size ones. 

Preheat oven to 350 F. 

Whisk the pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, and sugar. 

In another bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. 

Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet. 

Drain the raisins and then fold into the batter. 

Scoop into the muffin wells. You can almost fill the pans. 

Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Muffin Monday

#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

post signature

8 comments:

  1. It's funny how we don't like things in certain forms but do in others! For me it's the raisins, I'd never eat a box of them but I love them in baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!! I was eating some peanuts mixed with raisins yesterday and wondered when I started being able to tolerate them outside of a cookie.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you in the not-a-fan-of-drinking-stout corner but I do love using it in bakes. Stout adds a lot of flavor to cakes, cookies and even bread. Great muffins and thanks for the links to more chefs I'd like to meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate stout cakes are amazing. I wish I had thought of whipping up something else with the rest of that bottle.

      Delete
  3. "but life lifed..." I'm stealing that expression. It says it all, lol! Your muffins sound amazing. Great adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the stout raisin muffins I need try this. I usually make stout muffins but muffins dunked in stout is wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "drunk" muffins. You know, now I have an idea for next month.

    ReplyDelete