Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Pita #BreadBakers




When Stacy suggested Mediterranean bread for our January Bread Bakers, I pictured myself making something I'd never heard of before. I did some googling but kept coming back to pita bread. The "simple" pita. Truth is, pita has been on my bread bucket list for years. But I have mixed success with flatbreads, in general, and for some reason, pita just seemed complicated - could I really get the puff?  It was time to try. And I'm pleased to report that they puffed! I was completely surprised. This turned out to be easier than I expected so I can't wait to do it again. 

Scroll down to see what the other bread bakers are offering up from the Mediterranean. 

Pita 

Ingredients
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil 

Directions
Whisk flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Add in the water and oil and stir until shaggy. Knead until smooth then place in an oiled and covered bowl to proof for an hour or until puffy. It won't necessarily double. I proofed overnight as I prefer doughs proofed overnight. 

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll out about 3 or 4 into 6-inch circles. They will rest while the oven preheats. Cover the unrolled-out dough. 

Place a baking sheet or pizza stone on the lowest rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 500 F. 

When the oven is ready, place as many dough circles as you can in the oven. Bake for a total of 7 minutes turning about halfway through the bake time. 

Remove from the oven and wrap in a clean towel so that they will stay soft. 

 
BreadBakers
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Homemade pita is so delicious and surprisingly easy to make. Yours look perfect Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad yours puffed up for you, Kelly! Pita really is simple and so satisfying to make. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! They puffed! Isn't it fun to watch them through the oven window? Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade breads and this pita sounds a great idea to bake. I can use for sandwiches and for dips too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look perfect! The puff has often eluded me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first made Pita even I was like will it puff in the oven? But it did. Your's look perfect.

    ReplyDelete