Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Mixed Berry & Tofu Cream Turnovers for Crazy Ingredient Challenge March

 
 

I must admit that I was not too thrilled when tofu and blueberries were announced as this month's ingredients for Crazy Ingredient Challenge. I really, really dislike tofu and I immediately had a mental block. I kept searching for ways to hide the tofu but my mind just couldn't fathom it. I've only had tofu once and not disliked it. I made a eggplant rollatini some years ago. After crumbling the tofu and adding every herb and spice in my cupboard, it didn't taste like tofu anymore.

I had decided to just skip this month but my friend insisted that I try. So this is me, trying. Honestly, this tofu cream isn't bad. But would I make it again? I'm not so sure. Some bites had a tofu aftertaste and that was a bit off-putting to me. But the bites that had lots of mixed berries? Those were definitely good. I used my leftover tofu cream to top various oatmeal mixtures that I made throughout the week and that worked very well. For the last bit, I stirred in peanut butter and more mixed berries and froze it. It was like a frozen pie. Not bad at all.

If you're a tofu-lover, you might want to try this. If not, just skip it. Too honest? Sorry.





post signature


Mixed Berry & Tofu Cream Turnovers                                      Print
Recipe by:   Kelster
Yield: Kelster
Ingredients
7 oz firm tofu
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 T lemon juice
1 T canola oil
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
1 can mixed berry pie filling/topping
 
Directions
 
Place the tofu, sugar, oil, lemon juice, oil and ground cinnamon in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more lemon juice or cinnamon, if desired.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.
 
Roll out the puff pastry to approximately 1/8 inch thick and cut out desired size and shapes. I cut 3.5” x 5” rectangles. Mix the egg with a teaspoon of water and brush around the edges of the dough. Place tofu cream and mixed berries in the center of the dough and fold. Use a fork to press and seal. Be careful not to add too much or you may not be able to close the turnovers.
 
Place the turnovers on an ungreased baking sheet and put in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 F.
 
Brush the tops of the turnovers with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
 
 
Notes
Of course, you can buy puff pastry. Most sane persons would.
You can use fresh berries too.




HunngryLittleGirl

8 comments:

  1. Great idea for the challenge. I am going to try this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm not a tofu fan either, but managed to choke down the ice cream I made (it was actually very good)!
    Jenni @ Jenni's Ferris Wheel of Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at choke down! I am going to check out your ice cream now.

      Delete
  3. This is such a good idea!! Great use of the tofu. I had planned on making muffins, subbing the tofu instead of eggs, but time got away from me this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll build up the courage to sub tofu for eggs in a baked goods.

      Delete
  4. I have never even eaten tofu and not sure I could but this recipe does sound do-able.

    ReplyDelete