Growing up I was never a breakfast person. I would head to school without so much of a sip of tea. (I think every Jamaican who reads that sentence will immediately clutch his/her chest. No tea?! But everyone drinks tea every morning! Not I.) But on weekends when my mother would make ackee and saltfish (Jamaica's National Dish) along with fried breadfruit, you better believe that I was first at the table. Some weekends it would be callaloo and saltfish.
Let me pause. This post needs a glossary.
|Source That's So Yummy|
Ackee is a fruit that when ripened the outside is red and the pod opens up. The yellow fleshy inside is parboiled and then sauteed with saltfish, onions and peppers.Saltfish is salted cod. In the US, I have also seen salted pollock. It's either soaked in water overnight and then flaked and sauteed or boiled then sauteed. Some persons soak it overnight and also boil it. I find that to be overkill. You may find some really salty brands. But I prefer to rinse it well, do a quick boil and then saute.
Breadfruit is a starchy fruit that grows on a tree. It's delicious freshly roasted with lots of butter. After it cools, I like to fry it and sprinkle a bit of salt.
|Fried breadfruit (Source)|
Now for Callaloo. Callaloo means different things in different Caribbean islands. In Jamaica it refers to a dark green leafy vegetable - a member of the amaranth family. In Trinidad, it's a soup made from dasheen/taro leaves. The similar soup in Jamaica (made with Jamaican callaloo) is called pepperpot soup.
What would you make for breakfast in your Bundt pan? Need some inspiration? We have 15 beautiful Bundts (both sweet and savory) that would be perfect for your breakfast or brunch table.
- Banana Breakfast Bundt Cake from Varada at Varada's Kitchen
- Blackberry Chocolate Coffee Cake from Lauren at From Gate to Plate
- Breakfast Bundt from Jane at Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Callaloo & Saltfish Mini Bundt from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Cheesy Bacon Sausage Brioche Bundt from Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Cheesy Breakfast Sausage Bundt from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Feta Cheese and Sundried Tomato Breakfast Bundt from Maria at Box of Stolen Socks
- French Toast Bundt Cake with Maple-Bacon Glaze from Felice at All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Granola Cake from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Individual Breakfast Banana & Ginger Oatmeal Nutella Glazed Bundt Cake from Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Maple Bacon Bundt Cake with Bacon Pecan Streusel Swirl from Tux at Brooklyn Homemaker
- Mimosa Bundt Cake from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Orange Blueberry Bundt Cake from Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Sausage and Potato Bundt from Margaret at Tea and Scones
- Whole Grain Mini Blueberry Breakfast Bundts from Laura at The Spiced Life
Callaloo & Saltfish Mini Bundts
Recipe by: Kelster
Yield: 4 Mini Bundts (1 cup mini bundts)
2 oz saltfish
½ small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Scotch bonnet pepper, to taste
3 oz callaloo
1 tablespoon oil
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
Rinse saltfish several times and then place in a pot of water and boil for ten minutes or until softened. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, garlic, pepper and callaloo and set aside. When saltfish has softened, use a fork or your fingers to shred the fish into small flakes.
Heat the oil in a small pan and add the onions, garlic, pepper and saltfish. After the onions have softened, add the callaloo, saute until just wilted then turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease the mini Bundts.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder and thyme. Whisk together the egg, milk and melted butter and pour into the center of the flour mixture. Gently stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Stir in the callaloo mixture.
Pour into mini Bundt wells. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Scotch bonnet pepper is one of the hottest peppers. Wash hands properly after handling.
Spinach may be substituted for callaloo.
Taste callaloo mixture. Add additional seasoning if necessary.
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.