Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

#BundtBakers: Callaloo & Saltfish Mini Bundts

BundtBakers


Growing up I was never a breakfast person. I would head to school without so much of a sip of tea. (I think every Jamaican who reads that sentence will immediately clutch his/her chest. No tea?! But everyone drinks tea every morning! Not I.) But on weekends when my mother would make ackee and saltfish (Jamaica's National Dish) along with fried breadfruit, you better believe that I was first at the table. Some weekends it would be callaloo and saltfish.

Let me pause. This post needs a glossary.

Source That's So Yummy

Ackee is a fruit that when ripened the outside is red and the pod opens up. The yellow fleshy inside is parboiled and then sauteed with saltfish, onions and peppers.Saltfish is salted cod. In the US, I have also seen salted pollock. It's either soaked in water overnight and then flaked and sauteed or boiled then sauteed. Some persons soak it overnight and also boil it. I find that to be overkill. You may find some really salty brands. But I prefer to rinse it well, do a quick boil and then saute.


Breadfruit is a starchy fruit that grows on a tree. It's delicious freshly roasted with lots of butter. After it cools, I like to fry it and sprinkle a bit of salt.

.
Roasted (Source)


Fried breadfruit (Source)


Now for Callaloo. Callaloo means different things in different Caribbean islands. In Jamaica it refers to a dark green leafy vegetable - a member of the amaranth family. In Trinidad, it's a soup made from dasheen/taro leaves. The similar soup in Jamaica (made with Jamaican callaloo) is called pepperpot soup.

Callaloo (Source)





So where were we? Yes, breakfast. I kept thinking about my favourite Jamaican breakfasts when Anne chose Breakfast as this month's Bundt Bakers theme. But could it work? YES. I actually first made mini callaloo and saltfish quiches with a puff pastry crust. But while they were delicious, they just didn't photograph well. So I happily ate those while I brainstormed these little cakes. All delicious. All bursting with the flavours of a Jamaican breakfast.

What would you make for breakfast in your Bundt pan? Need some inspiration? We have 15 beautiful Bundts (both sweet and savory) that would be perfect for your breakfast or brunch table.







Callaloo & Saltfish Mini Bundts                               
Recipe by:    Kelster
Yield: 4 Mini Bundts (1 cup mini bundts)
Ingredients

2 oz saltfish
½ small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Scotch bonnet pepper, to taste
3 oz callaloo
1 tablespoon oil
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg
¾ cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter

Directions

Rinse saltfish several times and then place in a pot of water and boil for ten minutes or until softened. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, garlic, pepper and callaloo and set aside. When saltfish has softened, use a fork or your fingers to shred the fish into small flakes.

Heat the oil in a small pan and add the onions, garlic, pepper and saltfish. After the onions have softened, add the callaloo, saute until just wilted then turn off the heat and allow it to cool.

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease the mini Bundts.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder and thyme. Whisk together the egg, milk and melted butter and pour into the center of the flour mixture. Gently stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Stir in the callaloo mixture.

Pour into mini Bundt wells. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Notes
Scotch bonnet pepper is one of the hottest peppers. Wash hands properly after handling. 
Spinach may be substituted for callaloo. 
Taste callaloo mixture. Add additional seasoning if necessary. 



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

17 comments:

  1. I couldn't wait to see what you came up with, Kelly! I lived in Trinidad for three years so I am quite familiar with the lovely soup of callaloo greens. I couldn't imagine how you were going to bake that in a Bundt! Nice job! I love saltfish (I usually just soak, changing the water out a few times before adding to my dish.) and callaloo so I know I'd love your savory mini Bundts! Thanks so much for hosting this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. I did remember reading that you lived in Trinidad at some point. It's always interesting to learn about what names mean on the different islands. My mother does the long soak too. But that requires me to plan ahead. If I think about it the night before, I might.

      I was happy to help!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the glossary (I didn't know about those ingredients). Now it makes me want to try them. Great savory bundt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you get a chance to try them - especially fried breadfruit.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for telling us all about your ingredients, I'd never heard of any of them until reading your post. I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that one day you do get to try them!

      Delete
  4. Great savory bundt and thanks for all the fascinating information, what a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am lost for words Kelly! I didn't know any of these ingredients but now I know and thank you for explaining everything so well! I also did not like breakfast and left for school without eating anything. But I do prefer savoury to sweet in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweets for breakfast still seems weird to me. Doesn't feel "right".

      Delete
  6. You learn something new everyday! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What interesting ingredients. Looks like they made a great little bundt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were definitely delicious! I can't wait to make them again with other ingredients.

      Delete
  8. Your minis look so scrumptious. As for the ingredients... I was completely lost because I had never heard of them before, but now thanks to you... I need to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to tell everyone about different ingredients!

      Delete
  9. The only one of your ingredients that I knew was the breadfruit. This is truly an amazing bundt that I would love to try.

    ReplyDelete