Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Beet Bread Pudding - Crazy Ingredient Challenge

When beets and eggs were announced as this month's Crazy Ingredient Challenge, I was quite excited. I had a list of things that I wanted to do. A marbled ginger beet cake (did it but didn't photograph it), a stuffed bread (still going to make it), and beet egg rolls.

I actually made the egg rolls first. I added beet puree to the egg roll wrappers and then wrapped then in a shredded beets and carrots filling. I loved the beautiful pink hue of the egg roll wrappers. However, when I baked them, they had changed from a beautiful pink to a muddy brownish-pink.




Why beets? Why? Why do you always do that to me? I made a beet swirl bread some months ago and the pink dough had also changed to brown after baking. I figured it was chemistry at work but I wasn't sure just how to slow the change. I also couldn't figure out how some persons did nothing special to their loaves yet they remained pink. I suspected that it had to do with the amount of time that I left my sourdough bread to rise.



After the egg rolls, I decided to work on a bread pudding. I thought that I would add some orange juice to the custard to make it a bit acidic and hopefully slow the chemical reaction that changes my beets. This bread pudding was good. Really, really good. I usually don't like bread pudding but I loved this. There are definitely some areas that are more brown than I like. But that is probably mainly because my bread got a little extra toasty. You don't get a strong beet flavour in these. You can tell there's a hint of something. But beets are really added colour and extra fibre to this dish.


post signature





Beet Bread Pudding  

Ingredients

4 - 5 cups of stale bread
3 cups of milk

2 eggs
1 cup pureed beets
3/4 cup  sugar (I used half brown and half granulated)
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions 

Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. If the bread is not stale, toast in a 200 degree oven for a few minutes. Don't leave them too long! Place the cubes into a greased 9" x 5" loaf pan or pan of similar volume.

Blend milk, eggs, beets, sugar, rum, orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg and pour over bread cubes. Let sit until the custard has been absorbed. The amount of time this takes depends on how dry your bread is. It could take as little as an hour.. You can also refrigerate overnight.

Bake in a 350 F oven for 50 minutes.



10 comments:

  1. Love this! I've never made bread pudding so this would be a great place for me to start. Creative idea with the challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use the same custard without the beets - taste and adjust sugar (before you add the eggs if raw eggs freak you out).

      Delete
  2. Beet egg rolls? Very interesting and I have the same issue. Some of my dishes are beautiful before cooked or baked then they look blah. Frustrating. I love the color of this pudding and I bet it would be good, my husband wouldn't eat it, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very very frustrating! I am glad that I hadn't waited until the last minute to work on this.

      Delete
  3. Sorry your bread didn't stay pink! But this bread pudding is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! It's definitely a learning experience. I just have to figure out the chemistry behind the browning of the beets.

      Delete
  4. This sounds interesting and looks wonderful.. but I am sorry I just can't eat bread pudding. I think it is a texture thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. I avoided bread pudding for the same reason.

      Delete
  5. Rum and OJ, I think I could get on board with this delicious sounding dessert very quickly! I love the colour too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And serving it with a rum sauce would make it even more amazing too!

      Delete