Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pumpkin Espresso Bundt - #BundtBakers




Let's start this with a confession. When Tux of Brooklyn Homemaker chose "Autumn Harvest" (focusing on autumn produce)  for this month's Bundt Bakers, I was a bit thrown. You see, nothing really stands out to me when I think "autumn harvest". Of course I know all the produce associated with fall. But I was trying to think of what was quintessentially fall for me.  I grew up in Jamaica. We ate pumpkin at least once per week all year round. Same with sweet potatoes. It doesn't help that I am now in South Florida and there are no apple orchards nearby to think about going to for apple picking. Do they have pumpkin patches here? I should look that up.



However, within a few moments, I knew that I would make a pumpkin cake. I had always wanted to make (and taste) one so this was finally the time. I added espresso to half of the batch because I wanted to try the zebra/stripe effect - not just marbling. I also happen to love coffee flavoured desserts so I thought I'd see how the two worked together. .As much as I love coffee flavoured desserts, you won't find me drinking the stuff. There just does not seem to be enough sugar and flavoured creamer in the world to get it tasting like something that I would like. Basically, I try to make a cup of coffee taste like ice cream.



Speaking of ice cream, one of my favourite flavours is Starbucks' Java Chip. I still remember the first day that I tasted it. It was 2001. This was before they switched from Dreyer's to Unilevers and changed the flavours/recipes.  I bought a carton at the Safeway a couple miles from my college campus. Indecent words and sounds were heard and I was hooked from the first spoonful. I felt like I was cheating on my other favourite - Devon Stout from a popular bakery in Jamaica. Chocolate ice cream started giving me the side-eye, getting worried about its status in my life. Mmmmmmm

Pumpkin Espresso Mini Bundt (It was raining when I took this pic.)


Oh....we are here to talk about cake. Sorry about the ice cream tangent. Right, so I wanted stripes. The stripes worked out well but it was just a little tedious! For the larger pan, I poured a quarter cup of batter at a time into the pan. With the smaller pans, I poured by the tablespoon. Even though it took a little longer than normal, I think I will definitely try this again. I didn't go full on pumpkin spice here and I only slightly regret it - just cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. I really could have used more cinnamon.


Thanks, Tux for making me finally taste a pumpkin cake. Scroll down to see what other cakes the Bundt Bakers made this month.



Pumpkin Espresso Bundt



Ingredients
For cake
2 tablespoons espresso powder (or 3-4 tablespoons instant coffee powder)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
3 tablespoons oil
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

For glaze (adapted from Dine & Dish via I am Baker)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons pureed pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
pinch of salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Thoroughly grease a standard sized bundt pan.

Dissolve the espresso powder in a tablespoon of water and set aside. Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
Cream butter, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until fully combined. Stir in vanilla, pumpkin and oil until thoroughly combined.
Starting and ending with flour, alternate adding flour and milk to the mixture. Stir until just combined with flour streaks remaining after each addition. At the end, stir until no streaks remain.

Divide the batter into two. Stir the espresso into one half. Pour a quarter cup of the plain batter into the bundt. Then pour a quarter cup of the espresso batter in the center of the plain batter. Both batters will spread on their own. However, if the batter is a bit thick, you can rap the pan lightly on the counter to help the movement. Keep pouring alternate batters into the center of the previous batter.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

When cake is cool, whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients. When the glaze is homogenous, pour over cake.



BundtBakers



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.




17 comments:

  1. Coffee and cake only gets better when the cake has coffee in it. What a great fall treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to finally try a pumpkin cake, and I'm glad I nudged you into it! Growing up in the northeast I instantly think fall produce in September, I honestly forget that people in warmer climates have different seasonal produce. Either way, this sounds delicious. I would never think to put espresso with pumpkin, but I guess if Starbucks can do it why can't it work as a cake? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think avocados are currently in season here - not entirely sure. But can't think of anything else.
      I think that one day I will try that Starbucks drink. It doesn't have real pumpkin (more about the spice than the artificial pumpkin syrup) but I would love to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it tastes like ice cream.

      Delete
  3. Pumpking and coffee sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in Miami and still have not ever been to an apple orchard. I want to so badly. Living in Florida definitely doesn't feel like Fall and I wish we experienced the changing leaves too. I like using espresso powder in cakes and it gives it such a great coffee flavor. Glad you tried pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go to one too! The cultural differences also makes autumn in Miami very different from the north.

      Delete
  5. Mmm pumpkin and coffee sounds like a winner to me. I love it..simple yet oh so delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try the pumpkin. it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks awesome and coffee with pumpkin are just perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake turned out beautifully! And I love the use of espresso.
    I'm from SWFL so I can relate to not having a change of seasons. I'm in Ohio now and there's a feeling of oncoming fall in the air - it's an interesting sensation. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Baltimore for a little while so I know that feeling!

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a great combination of flavors, such a gorgeous bundt!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like the idea of coffe and pumpkin, sounds great!!!!

    ReplyDelete