Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Pumpkin and Bacon Samosas



I am having a bit of writer's block. I could talk about the strange error message on my phone that has kept me cut off from the world for the last 11 days. But I just wrote up another post on my other blog with that whine. I could talk about these pumpkin samosas but they are just simple and delicious samosas - there's isn't much to say.


I could also talk about all the other ideas I had for this month's Crazy Ingredient Challenge. Oh, they were several. Candied bacon in a pumpkin cheesecake. Pumpkin ice cream with candied bacon. A braid with a pumpkin and cream cheese mixture with bacon (candying optional). Stuffed French toast. Soup. Pasta. Cupcakes. The ideas were flowing. Ultimately, time was not my friend so it was then easiest to make these samosas. This is a really simple and tasty dough that I have made several times. It's slightly adapted from one I saw on Aarti Paarti. So if pumpkin and bacon isn't you thing, you can certainly fill the dough with whatever you love. I almost added shredded chicken to these but decide against it. I still have the cooked chicken and some pumpkin so chicken and pumpkin samosas may still happen.



Pumpkin and Bacon Samosas

Ingredients
Filling
4 strips of bacon
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

11 oz pumpkin diced
salt and pepper to taste
water 

Dough
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt


In a skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Drain all but a tablespoon of oil from the pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute until softened. Add the spices and stir to coat the onion and garlic. Next add the diced pumpkin and stir to coat with the spices. Add about quarter - half cup of water to the pan to keep it from sticking. Cover and cook until tender - about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Allow to cool.

Knead the dough ingredients for 5 minutes by hand. Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 F.

After resting, divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 7 inch circle. Cut each circle into half.

Crumble the bacon over the  pumpkin mixture and stir in.

With the straight side of a semi-circle of dough facing away from you, spoon a tablespoon of pumpkin into the center of the dough. Dip a finger in water and run your finger along the edges of the dough. Fold over the left side and then the right. Now you have a triangle.Fold over the bottom edge to seal. Stretch and squeeze the top point to seal. Repeat with remaining semi-circles.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425 F. Lower heat to 375, flip the samosas and bake for 10 more minutes.

(Dough adapted from Aarti Paarti)





14 comments:

  1. Great idea! I bet these are so delicious. Wonderful SRC recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I love samosas and would have never thought to use pumpkin and bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried samosa's but will have to now with this recipe. YUM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crust is amazing. Fill it with whatever you like. Chicken, potatoes, beans...

      Delete
  4. I imagine these would taste amazing...such a great combination of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this idea, I have not made samosas before but def think it is something I'd like to do.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make these look so easy and delicious. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, I can't do pie crusts to save my life. But this? This is easy.

      Delete
  7. These look way easier to make than I thought! I have never tried making samosas before, but I think I could now! Great idea for this month's challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope that you were able to try the dough.

      Delete