Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Tangerine Screwdriver Mini Bundts - #BundtBakers

Growing up there was hardly ever any alcohol in my house. We drank the occasional Shandy as kids. (My mother bought it for us. We weren’t hiding and drinking. I‘m actually not sure what the legal drinking age is in Jamaica. I think I read recently that it‘s now 18 instead of 16(?) but I really do not know nor think it‘s enforced.) However, at Christmas, rum, red wine and stout were bought for the Jamaican Christmas cakes. (Note to self: Bake a cake this year AND blog it.) Even our favourite Christmas drink - sorrel (made from the sorrel/roselle/hibiscus/flor de Jamaica plant) - was alcohol-free.. That is pretty much unheard of in Jamaica. Sorrel is usually LOADED with rum. Instead, my mother loaded it with spices and we did not miss the rum. At least, I didn’t. (Another note to self: make and blog sorrel.)

Now, while I rarely pour myself a drink, I definitely love alcohol in my cakes. I’d probably add liquor to every single cake if left to my own devices. Every microwave mug cake that I’ve made has had a splash or two of rum or wine. Every single one. I’ve been known to bake a boozy cake for a friend’s birthday and then eat half the cake before the pick up. Oops.

So basically, boozy cakes as a theme for Bundt Bakers is PERFECT for me. Since I don’t drink much, I rarely explore different cocktails and pretty much stick to the ones that I know - screwdrivers, fuzzy navels and strawberry daiquiris. Two of my friends in undergrad liked screwdrivers and fuzzy navels so I adopted those two as my drinks. Strawberry daiquiris joined the list when I moved to Miami and tried one at Flannigans. I wanted to make a fuzzy navel bundt back when we did stone fruits but thought I’d wait for a booze theme. Now that it’s here, I’ve switched to the screwdriver. Peaches aren’t in season and I wasn’t in the mood for jam.

You’ll see from the title that I’m using tangerines instead of oranges. This isn’t because I wanted to add a twist - OK, that is part of the reason. However, the main reason is that oranges (used to?) trigger my migraines. I can get away with drinking some brands of orange juice but I don’t try too often. But I can’t get away with orange zest/rind and I wanted to use some here. It’s been a while since I’ve had a migraine(*knock on wood*) and I really wanted to test it. But I thought I’d leave well enough alone.

So tell me, do you like alcohol in your cakes or solely in your glass? I have a friend who does not like alcohol in her cakes. I’m not sure how we’re still friends. I hope you like boozy cakes though because there’s an amazing list of boozy cakes below. Thanks, Lauren for choosing a great theme!

Dark and rainy day = Worse than normal pictures. I'll rebake and retake soon.










Tangerine Screwdriver Mini Bundts for Two

Ingredients
Cake
1 egg
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of tangerine juice
6.5 tablespoons of cake flour
tangerine zest
Glaze 1
2 tablespoons tangerine juice
3 tablespoons vodka
2 tablespoons powdered sugar. 
Glaze 2 (optional)
powdered sugar plus enough tangerine juice and/or vokda to make a pourable icing.
tangerine zest for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 F.
In a metal bowl, whisk together the egg and sugar. Place this metal bowl over a pot of lightly simmering water. The water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
Whisk until the mixture is warm, has lightened in colour and is frothy. 
Remove from heat, whisk on medium speed then add the tangerine juice. Whisk mixture until the bottom of the bowl has completely cooled.
Add tangerine zest then fold in the cake flour until just combined. Batter will be lumpy.
Pour into thoroughly greased mini bundt pans
Bake 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Whisk together the ingredients for glaze 1 and pour over warm cakes. Cool then remove from pans.
If using the second glaze, pour over cooled cakes.



BundtBakers



 #BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

11 comments:

  1. These little bundts look wonderful and I anxiously await your other recipes that you promised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fantastic choice for this month - sorry the light wasn't cooperating for you on picture day, seems to get so much more difficult this time of year! Regardless, looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely bundt. I love the tangerine juice...such a different take on a citrus cake. Perfect.
    Isn't it interesting how it seems quite a few of us don't care too much for drinking our booze but rather prefer baking with them?! Once in a while I'll enjoy a glass of wine but that's the extent of it. I do like the flavor though that alcohol gives to cakes.
    Again, beautiful bunt. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be looking forward to your Jamaican holiday cakes! In the meantime, your screwdriver cake looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty cake for anytime of the year. I was looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so tasty. And moist, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sound delicious and rather refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there friends, pleasant post and fastidious urging commented here, I am actually enjoying by these.

    야한소설
    립카페
    외국인출장
    건마탑
    바카라사이트

    ReplyDelete