Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Mint Tea Mini Bundts - #BundtBakers



I struggled with what to make for this month's Bundt Bakers. I knew that I would be baking myself a huge birthday cake and wondered if I should use the same batter for one of the layers of my cake and the Bundt. Laura, our host, chose mint for this month's theme  But that meant a mint chocolate layer and while I absolutely LOVE mint chocolate, I just wasn't feeling a mint chocolate layer this year. I was sipping a cup of tea when an idea struck. Perhaps I could use tea in my Bundt.

 I am not much of a hot beverage drinker. This is a fact that makes all my Jamaican friends give me the side eye. Poll several Jamaicans, and I can guarantee you that 99% of them will tell you that they always start their days with a hot beverage. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate (made from balls of pure chocolate), porridge. They just do not feel good without it. Pass me a cold beverage. Don't put porridge near me. However, if I am not feeling well, I will make myself some tea. I usually choose one of three options - mint, ginger or lime leaf. I know someone is raising his/her eyes at lime leaf. Hehe. Considering that most of the first page Google results for "lime leaf tea" are Jamaican, this might be a Jamaican thing.



The tea infusion worked better than I expected. The cake is has a light mint flavour and also a slight green tinge. I left the leaves in because my dried mint leaves were pretty small and I liked the look. but you could strain if you wish. I can't wait to try this with other teas. I meant to add an orange tea to this but opted to try just mint for now. orange and chai will come later.

There are lots of minty cakes and bread for you to drool over this month. Scroll down to see the list!




Mint Tea Bundt                                 
Recipe by: Kelster    Adapted from: Holy Vegan
Yield: 3 one-cup size mini Bundts
Ingredients
1/2 cup hot milk
1 teaspoon dried peppermint leaves
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/4 cup butter
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
Directions
Thoroughly grease and flour 3 one cup capacity mini Bundt pans. Preheat oven to 350 F.
Place the tea leaves to steep in the hot milk. When cool, strain milk, if desired, and add the vinegar.
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Alternate adding the flour and milk to the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Pour into prepared pans and bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a cake comes out clean.
Notes
My peppermint leaves were pretty small so I left them in. You could strain the milk and add leaves that have been processed finely to the flour mixture. You could also place the leaves in a cheesecloth but squeeze well and you may need to add more milk after.
     
BundtBakers
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely bundt for afternoon tea time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dainty and elegant. These mini bundts are perfect and they sound wonderful Kelster. I love that you used peppermint leaves - how original!

    Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Great work - sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique idea! It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using mint tea! I think this would have been a cake that I could actually eat since I am not a huge fan of mint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not overpowering so it just could work for you. But hey, you love other flavours - enjoy those!

      Delete
  6. Like the rest of your friends, I start the day off with a hot beverage, Kelly, but I'd happily eat one of these little cakes with my coffee too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like a lovely afternoon tea cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post thank you Paige

    ReplyDelete