Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Gizzada Mini Bundts - #BundtBakers

I need a tape recorder for my brain. You see, I compose these amazing blog posts in my head, but when it's time to sit and type, I can't remember most of it. Case in point: today's post. I guess I'll blab and you'll get the gist or just scroll down to the recipe. I really should just start using the voice recorder on my phone. I'm a little "weirded" out by the sound of my own voice though so someone else would need to transcribe.

Let's get down to business. It's the third Thursday of the month and that means it's Bundt Bakers day. This month, our host, Terri, chose coconut for the theme. Upon hearing the theme, I immediately knew that I wanted to recreate one of Jamaica's coconut desserts in cake form. I opted for the gizzada which is a small tart. The tart shell is filled with a mixture of grated coconut, brown sugar and nutmeg - a lot of nutmeg. The nutmeg shines boldly here. It's not just a hint. If you don't like nutmeg, back away from gizzadas. In fact, there are times when given a choice, I opt for a coconut treat other than gizzada. Some persons use way too much nutmeg. While I was grating the nutmeg for this, I was immediately brought back to smelling it wafting from my mother's kitchen. She adds nutmeg to porridge and hot chocolate. I didn't drink either but nutmeg will always remind me of her making breakfast.You know, I think this weekend I will try to find chocolate balls at a Jamaican supermarket then call my mother and have her talk me through making her hot chocolate. I know it's simple - boiling water, grated ball (or not depending on size and quantity needed), nutmeg and a cinnamon leaf (I think).

Gizzadas

My original idea for Gizzada Bundts was to add the coconut mixture as a filling in my mini Bundts. As I said, the filling in a gizzada is just coconut, brown sugar and nutmeg and can be a bit dry sometimes (bakers vary). I added a bit of milk and an egg yolk so that it could be more moist for the cake. I imagined cutting into the little cakes and seeing a coconut surprise (well, surprise for anyone I served this to). Ha. My mini bundts had other plans. They simply refused to come out of the tins in one piece. I could have kept trying - probably use an egg white instead of yolk for a lighter filling. Maybe even switch to a large Bundt where I knew the filling would be less likely to touch the sides of the pan. But since I was eating each "failed" mini Bundt as soon as I realised it wasn't coming out properly, I had to change to something that would definitely work. I was inhaling way too many cakes. It's a good thing that I made these in small batches. It was a delicious afternoon though. I wish that I had seen Stacy's suggestion to make a trifle before I (happily) ate them all. There's one that I didn't immediately eat. I actually put it back into the tin and the next day, it came out as one piece. But it looked lonely so I quickly ate him. Normally, a glaze would help here but I wanted to stay as true to the gizzada as possible. So the new plan was simply to top the little cakes with the coconut filling.



No more broken cakes! Though these didn't come out as cleanly as I would have liked. The cake base here is now my new favourite. I slightly adapted it form King Arthur's Lemon Bliss and it may be the vanilla base that I use from now on. Moist. Buttery. Delicious. Loved the filling too - more than a traditional gizzada since I could control my nutmeg. I'm thinking about making a large filled one for a friend's birthday next week. We'll see. So are you a coconut lover or LOVER? I've heard rumours about people who don't like coconut but I've filed that along with stories about the existence of Big Foot. Lots of coconut deliciousness for you this month. Scroll down to see what the other Bundt Bakers made.



Gizzada Mini Bundts
Recipe by: Kelster    Cake adapted from King Arthur's Lemon Bliss
Yield: 3 one cup size mini Bundts
Ingredients
Cake
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Topping
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons evaporated milk (or cream)
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
1/2 - 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F and thoroughly grease and flour 3 one cup size mini Bundt pans
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined. 
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Then add vanilla to milk in a separate container. 
Alternate adding dry ingredients and the wet ingredients to the butter mixture starting and ending with dry. Pour into mini Bundt pans and bake for 16 - 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. 
While the cakes are baking, prepare the topping. 
Put sugar, evaporated milk, sugar, butter and yolk in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly. Don't walk away! It's ready when the mixture coats the back of a spoon and is bubbly. 
Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg and coconut. Cool.
When cakes are finished, cool then top with gizzada topping.



Notes
  • Dark brown sugar is typically used in gizzadas. You can use light brown or even a mixture of brown and white sugar.
  • If using sweetened coconut, use a bit less sugar. 
  • Start with less than the recommended freshly grated nutmeg. If you like more nutmeg, add more.

BundtBakers


Almond Joy Bundtlettes from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Candy Bar Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake from Love and Confections
Chocolate Italian Cake from Magnolia Days
Coconut & Banana Bundt Cake from Just One Bite Baking
Coconut Banana Bundt Cake from Basic N Delicious
Coconut Carrot Bundt Cake from Media Racion Doble, Por Favor
Coconut Cream Bundt Cake from Adventures in All Things Food
Coconut Hummingbird Bundt Cake from Patty's Cake
Coconut Milk Bundt Cake from I Love Bundt Cakes
Coconut Milk Bundt Cake from Un Mordisco Un Pecado
Coconut Oil Pound Cake from The Spiced Life
Coconut Sugar Banana Cake from A Kingdom for a Cake
Cranberry and Coconut Bundt Cake from La Cocina de Aisha
Cranberry, Orange and Coconut Bundt Cake from Kids & Chic
German Chocolate Bundt Cake from The Freshman Cook
Glazed Chocolate Macaroon Bundt Cake from Food Lust People Love
Gluten-free Coconut Orange Bundt Cake with Coconut Whipped Cream from Cassie's Kitchen
Gizzada Mini Bundts from Passion Kneaded
Key Lime and Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake from Eat, Drink and Be Mighty
Key Lime Coconut Cream Bundt from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from Making Miracles
Orange & Coconut Bundt Cake from Living the Gourmet
Oreo Coconut Bundt Cake from Indian Curries/Stew
Pina Colada Bundt Cake from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
Rhubarb n Rose Coconut Frosted Bundt Cake from Baking in Pyjamas
Rum Bundt Cake with Coconut and Lime from Bourbon and Brown Sugar
Toasted Coconut and Sweet Potato Bundt from Tea and Scones
Toasted Coconut Lime Bundt Cake with Chili Lime Glaze from Brooklyn Homemaker

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

29 comments:

  1. I need a tape recorder for my brain too. The exact same thing happens to me. I have this whole post written in my head when I making something then when it comes time to actually write it I go blank.
    Anyway, I love nutmeg so these little bundts sound tasty to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm not alone! I started appreciating the nutmeg plus coconut mix when I didn't have constant access to gizzada anymore.

      Delete
  2. Haha! I always write my blog posts in my head while I'm cooking, too. Over half of what I drafted silentely never makes it to type.
    I like that your recipe makes a small amount - perfect for those of us who don't want to be tempted for a whole week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! And even though I freeze stuff, sometimes it helps to not have it on hand so I am reaching into the freezer all the time.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what I are talking about, I even starting writing the ideas down on tissues or whatever is available, still never turn out and sound good as in my own had. Let me know if you come across that brain tape recorder. The cakes are so cute and I really like that touch of nutmeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. The voice in my head has this way with words! I can never get it just right.

      Delete
  4. Definitely know what you mean, I always talk to myself about what I'm going to type then come to actually doing it and I've no idea what to write. Your cake sounds lovely, I love nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute little bundt cake. Love that you took a dessert and adapted it into cake form. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious! I've never heard of gizzadas- I'll have to be on the lookout for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can find them in New York, Tux. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a YUMMY trial and error experience in the kitchen - those look fantastic, and you introduced me to something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it certainly was. It's good when the errors are delicious.

      Delete
  8. I love your idea. Mini bundts are always so much fun. These sound wonderful. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mini Bundts, must be a lot of fun. It seems, you had lots of fun in creating these mini Bundts....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use voice recognition with evernote a lot to take those kinda of notes. I understand completely. Looks like you ended up with a winner--the final mini bundts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I have Evernote and two other apps that I can use to but just never do. It's time to do it.

      Delete
  11. I didn't know what gizzada is!! Thank you for discovering something new. I love your mini bundts!!! They are yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your adaptation!!! Nice mini bundts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of Gizzada before reading you post. I must be delicious. I like the way you write and how you described the process of this original recipe. Also I have the same feelings about recording my voice on tape. Thank you for sharing everything!

    ReplyDelete