Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Guava and Chocolate Bundt - #BundtBakers


Chocolate. Chocolate. Chocolate. We all love chocolate, right? If you don't, don't tell me. Don't break my heart. Chocolate is the theme for this month's Bundt Bakers. The theme made me both excited and overwhelmed. I was excited because, well, do I need to say that I LOVE chocolate? In my last year of primary school, I'd buy two chocolate bars after school every day. Every. Single. Day. But when you tell me to make a chocolate cake, decision paralysis hits. A cake with just chocolate? Is it time to try chocolate and cayenne? Mint chocolate? Rum? Caramel? Coconut? Red wine? Nutmeg and cinnamon like Jamaican hot chocolate? Basil? If basil, how much is enough? I was stuck on this last question for 72 hours.


I finally decided on chocolate and jam, in particular, guava jam. I had no idea if it would work. I could have used white chocolate like I've done in sweet rolls before. But I wanted real chocolate. I had lots of pictures in my mind of how I wanted this to look. I ultimately decided on making the zebra-esque stripes because I wanted to practise them. (I always seem to give up halfway through.) But I think that when I make this next, I will do a jam crown, pour the white batter first, add jam and then the chocolate batter.

So how did it taste? Good,actually. The guava was very subtle. The guava portion is slightly pink (though not discernible in my pictures) but I didn't want to add more jam or food colouring. A few bits of jam weren't thoroughly mixed. This was actually deliberate because I wanted to see where they'd end up (so I'd know how to approach a jam layer in the future). Additionally, I was still thinking about a possible "jam crown" and was really hoping they'd end up at there. They did. I really loved biting into pieces that had little bits of jam. Burst of flavour.  To boost the flavour, I melted some jam with a bit of orange juice to eat with some slices.

And let me tell you, I had MANY slices of cake on Tuesday night. I gave up added sugar/refined sugar for Lent so this cake was my last hurrah. It was a very fat Tuesday night. Had I not been stuck in indecision land so long, I would have had more time to spend with this cake. Ah well. There are slices in my freezer now. See you in April, fair Bundt!

Now scroll down for all the chocolate goodness from my fellow Bundt Bakers. I have a feeling that looking at those 30+ cakes today will make me want to get back on the sugar wagon. I'll try to be strong. No guarantees.



Guava and Chocolate Bundt

Ingredients
1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1/3 cup hot water
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons milk
6 tablespoons guava jam, softened

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Thoroughly grease and flour a 10 cup Bundt pan.
Mix the cocoa, hot water and the 3 tablespoons of sugar together until thoroughly combined.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Beat butter on high speed for a minute. Slowly add the 1 1/2 cups of sugar and then vanilla. Beat for 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating until well mixed.
Add the flour in three parts alternating with half the milk. Beat until smooth.
Transfer a bit less than half of the batter to another bowl. Stir the cocoa mixture into this bowl. Stir the guava jam into the remaining batter.
To marble the batters, you can use ice cream scoops, to add scoops of each batter to the prepared Bundt pan. Gently swirl the batters together.
To try a zebra effect, add two tablespoons of chocolate batter to the pan. Pour two tablespoons of the guava batter directly in the middle of the chocolate batter in the pan. Keep alternating chocolate and guava.

Bake 45 minutes or until a long skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Invert Bundt onto a cooling rack after 10 minutes.



BundtBakers

Here are February's chocolate themed Bundts:
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

46 comments:

  1. Nice to bring in a little of the tropics with guava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like guava very much so your bundt with chocoloate it must be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that zebra striped marbling! I tired to make a zebra bundt cake once, after seeing it on pinterest, but after taking all the time to carefully pour one layer after another of chocolate and vanilla batter, the cake just looked like a marble cake. Oh well, it was still delicious! Yours came out beautifully, and I'm sure it's delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always give up and things get messy. It's hard to pour so many tiny scoops. Geez.
      Thanks, Tux!

      Delete
  4. Lovely. I don't think I've ever eaten guava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the most popular tropical fruit - especially since it has a lot of seeds.

      Delete
  5. So, so pretty! The marbling is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your guava jam seriously intrigued me. Lovely marble effect

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous swirls! The guava jam is a fabulous added touch. Perfect. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fabulous job with the zebra action! Unique and beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the zebra bundt! Never heard of guava jam, but it sounds absolutely delicious, congratulations!! -xx- Lara Tartacadabra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lara! Guava is a tropical fruit that you rarely see outside the tropics. The jam isn't that popular either.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic job on the swirls and what an unsual combination. Great job on the cake and the flavors.
    So I told you I had the butter out for baking when we were discussing living on the edge. I never got around to baking it that day. Giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you were REALLY living on the edge! Thanks, Ansh!

      Delete
  11. I cannot GET OVER the gorgeousness of your swirl, Kelly! Seriously Gorgeous. What a great combination of flavors as well! Guava jam is a personal favorite but it's hard to find in these parts. One has to cook one's own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy. When I was trying to decide on flavours, I asked a friend of mine what he thought about guava and chocolate. He said it would only be acceptable if I made my own jam. But hot sugary things scare me so that was not an option! Plus, guavas aren't in season. Haven't seen any on my neighbour's tree.

      Delete
  12. You have a done really nice job, in creating a Zebra print... Guava with Chocolate is an unique combination, and completely new for me... Will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never tried guava, it is difficult to find here. Your Bundt looks beautiful and I imagine the combination of flavors is fantastic. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bundt is simply great!!!! I like your zebra proposal!!! I've never tried guava but it looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty!!! Love the marbling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried guava before, your cake looks delicious and you've done a great job on the swirl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We provide our customers with a wide range of steel formwork shuttering material made from high quality raw materials such as galvanized steels, stainless steel, aluminum steel and polycarbonate strip. Our products go through strict quality control to avoid any unsatisfactory feedback from customers. Being genuine and reliable, these formwork materials are mainly used in the construction industry. Thus, we offer our products at pocket prices in comparison with other industries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. According to the latest report by Expert Market Research, titled “Airport Moving Walkway System Market: Global Industry Trends, Size, Growth, Share, Opportunity and Forecast 2022-2028,” the Airport Moving Walkway System Market to grow at a CAGR of XX% during 2022-2028. The global market is primarily driven by significant growth in the travel and tourism industry. Since these moving walkaway systems offer enhanced convenience to the passengers, they are widely being deployed across numerous national and international airports across the globe. If you need specific information that is not currently within the scope of the report, Expert Market Research can provide it to you as a part of the customization.





    Here we are sharing some more different industry report kindly read this:- Nutraceutical Products Market, Airborne Surveillance Market, United States Security Market, Aircraft Actuator Market, Anisole Market, Fire Fighting Chemicals Market, Polymeric Biomaterials Market, Architectural Window Film Market, Satellite Data Service Market, Medical Adhesives Market, Membrane Filtration Market

    ReplyDelete
  19. The growth of the global market for carbonated drinks is driven by the increasing demand and popularity of fast food among the young generation. Additionally, the rising pairing of various soft drinks with fast food by key fast-food corporations such as Mc Donald’s, KFC, and Burger King, among others is likely to propel the Carbonated Beverage Market growth further. Meanwhile, other factors such as growing disposable income, launching of new flavours, and penetration of e-commerce in food and beverage sector is projected to aid the market over the forecast period.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think a lot of articles related to are disappearing someday. That's why it's very hard to find, but I'm very fortunate to read your writing. 화천스웨디시
    철원스웨디시
    연천스웨디시When you come to my site, I have collected articles related to

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for sharing valuable info........

    SSR Movies

    ReplyDelete
  23. What is the central focus of “The Old Man and the Sea
    The Old Man and the Sea” is a classic novella written by Ernest Hemingway, first published in 1952. The story revolves around an ageing Cuban fisherman named Santiago, who has not caught any fish for 84 days. Determined to break his unlucky streak, Santiago ventures far out into the Gulf Stream in his small skiff.

    ReplyDelete