Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

Peach and Pumpkin Muffins - #MuffinMonday




One day last week I hungry but didn't have time to go get a proper meal so I decided to grab something from a vending machine. I used to have a daily vending machine habit. I'd get one of two things - a cinnamon roll or a honey bun. Hey, stop judging me. I know the vending machine varieties taste nothing like ones from a bakery or homemade but this was an essential daily fix. As I approached the vending machine that evening, I thought about getting a cinnamon roll. But I was really hungry and even though there are a million calories in those rolls, I am inevitably hungry seconds after eating one. I spotted bagel with cream cheese and thought that was perfect. But right beside the bagel was an Otis Spunkmeyer blueberry muffin. And beside that? Chocolate chocolate chip muffin. The chocoholic in me danced.

My friends and I have this thing where we keep each other accountable by logging our meals and fitness activities on MyFitnessPal. Sometimes we'll send out messages if we're being tempted by a treat. Truth be told, they do this. I just respond to the messages. My temptations are never "Should I have ice cream today?" but "Should I eat another ice cream bar and a slice of cake?" I just pretend that I am being good and leave the extras off MFP.  I thought I'd have them weigh in on this one though because I was seriously torn. I was about to hit send when I realised that if they didn't choose the muffin, I'd be really sad. Decision made. I got the muffin.

Oh happy day! That muffin was 720 calories of pure bliss. I grinned from ear to ear as I ate every crumb. It's like I had forgotten just how amazing choxolate + chocolate chip was. Had I not already made my Muffin Monday muffins, I would have definitely ran home to mix some up. Five minutes after the muffin, I was hungry again. But I was still happy.

These peach and pumpkin muffins are no chocolate chocolate chip muffin but they are still rather delicious. Peaches are almost out of the supermarket so I thought I'd grab some and combine them with the pumpkins that are overflowing the supermarket bins. It was still a little hard for me to think of pumpkin in a non-savoury light but these muffins have definitely changed my mind.







Peach and Pumpkin Muffins
Recipe by: Kelly   Adapted from:Smitten Kitchen
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients
3/4 cup all purpose flour 
3/4 cup whole white wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup peaches, diced

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line or grease a standard muffin pan. 

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger. In a larger bowl, whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs and granulated sugar. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just combined. Fold in the diced 
.
Divide the batter among the muffin wells. Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the tops of each muffin.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
Notes
  • You can use granulated sugar instead of brown sugar for topping
  •  Change the spices to suit your taste.




:
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever combined pumpkin and peaches. These sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the combination of fall and summer in this beautiful muffin, Kelly! And as for the vending machine chocolate chocolate chip muffin, sometimes you just gotta do what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,
    I know how those Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chocolate chip muffins can call to you--when I am at Costco I need to be chewing a free sample while walking past the display or else I'll succumb to the siren song.
    Such a great combo--I'm glad Stacy made some for us today!
    I've been working on a peach and green chile muffin recipe and something is just not hitting it for me--but I think peach and pumpkin sounds like an excellent combo!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this combination - I would have never thought of it yet now that you have it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute story!! Your muffins do look good (summer meets fall), and you can make Stacy's muffins next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun combination of ingredients - I would never have thought to put peach and pumpkin together, but what a lovely way to say goodbye to summer fruits and hello to fall! <3

    ReplyDelete