I have moments when I become obsessed with specific ingredients. My current obsession is stout. I first used it in a beer caramel, I then added it to these spice muffins. Next, I'm going to add it to a birthday cake. It's also a standard ingredient in Jamaican Christmas Cakes. I'm not even sure why I have latched onto stout. If given a choice, stout is not my drink of choice. But it worked in the caramel, worked in the muffins, and will be great in the cakes. So hurray, stout!
Stout Spice Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup stout
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a muffin tin or line with cupcake liners.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate container, whisk together sugar, stout, milk, oil, egg, and grated ginger. Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
Divide among muffin wells and bake approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Banana Chocolate Espresso Swirl Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Banana Crinkle Muffins from Making Miracles
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Sweet Potato Muffins from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Christmas Morning Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Gingerbread Muffins from Palatable Pastime
- Savory Sage Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Shrimp Scampi Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Stout Spice Muffins from Passion Kneaded
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.