Pages

Monday, November 28, 2016

Stout Spice Muffin - #MuffinMonday



I have moments when I become obsessed with specific ingredients. My current obsession is stout. I first used it in a beer caramel, I then added it to these spice muffins. Next, I'm going to add it to a birthday cake. It's also a standard ingredient in Jamaican Christmas Cakes. I'm not even sure why I have latched onto stout. If given a choice, stout is not my drink of choice. But it worked in the caramel, worked in the muffins, and will be great in the cakes. So hurray, stout!



Stout Spice Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup stout
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a muffin tin or line with cupcake liners.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a separate container, whisk together sugar, stout, milk, oil, egg, and grated ginger. Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.

Divide among muffin wells and bake approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.








#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.




post signature

5 comments:

  1. This made me laugh, Kelly. Stout would not be my drink of choice either but I've used it in all kinds of baked goods. It adds a lovely depth of flavor to breads and cakes. Bet these muffins are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good, hearty beer is always a great addition to baked goods or stews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about stout but love cooking it in bread. At least I can be trusted not to drink the ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,
    Why not be obsessed with stout, especially when you can make such tasty looking muffins with it? Better than to be obsessed with, say, kohlrabi or cabbage.
    I still remember how thick the stout was in Ireland. I could probably stand a spoon up in that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think baking and cooking with stout is great, but like you, it wouldn't be my order at the bar. Beautiful muffins perfect for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete