Pages

Monday, September 25, 2017

Pineapple Coconut Banana Muffins - #MuffinMonday




Upon realising that I'd be using pineapples for another challenge, I immediately decided that I'd use pineapples for Muffin Monday. The decision was sealed when I flipped my calendar to September and noticed that Pineapple Coconut Muffins was the recipe for September. But when I realised that Stacy was sharing pineapple muffins too, I decided to change things up a bit. The next day, a friend stopped by and picked lots of coconuts. He not only picked them, he also husked and removed the meat from the shell. That meant I didn't have to play with the machete nor throw coconuts at the wall. So now coconuts could be added to my pineapple muffins. Later that evening, I realised I had a couple very brown bananas. Well, now it's pineapple, coconut, and banana! Perfection. 



These are actually better than the plain pineapple muffins that I'd made before so thanks universe for making this happen.  The muffins are on the lighter side. The banana flavour is there, the coconut is adding some crunch while the pineapple is subtle. You could perhaps add some pineapple extract to boost the flavour. 


Pineapple Coconut Banana Muffins
Yield - 12 muffins

Ingredients 
1 cup brown sugar (I used light brown sugar)
1/2 cup mashed banana
1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
2 cups flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Line a muffin pan with wrappers or grease thoroughly. Preheat oven to 425 F.

Mash together the sugar and banana then add in the pineapple and almond extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and oil and then add to the banana mixture.

In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients. Mix only until just combined.

Fill each muffin well almost full.


Bake for 5 minutes at 425F then lower oven to 350F. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. 

Notes

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.

Muffin Monday



#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.




post signature

3 comments:

  1. What a great friend, not only supplies you with the coconut but does all the work of getting the meat out as well. Hope you rewarded him with some of these delicious muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Wendy. That is a good friend! I love using fresh coconut but it is a pain to remove from the husk. Fortunately it's something that is available already grated in the refrigerated produce section of my local store. The addition of banana is genius though. I'm sure it adds flavor and moisture. All in all, a very nice muffin, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fresh picked coconuts! Lucky you! These are such tropical sounding muffins. The universe did hand you a lovely detour from your plans.

    ReplyDelete