Pages

Monday, October 30, 2017

Savoury Pumpkin Muffins - #MuffinMonday


I've been craving something sweet for over a week. I've eaten bullas (a ginger & molasses spiced cake/bread hybrid), my nephew's cookies, my own cookies, sugary popcorn, and plain sugar. Still, the need for sugar persists. That would seem like the perfect reason to make a sweet muffin for this month's Muffin Monday. But alas, my mind doesn't work that way. Apparently I can crave something sweet but still go into the kitchen and make savoury muffins. 

The muffin inspiration came from all the soup that I had over the last 2 weeks. I've mentioned before that Saturday equals soup in Jamaica. And if you're making soup, it's a cultural sin to not add pumpkin to that soup. You can leave it out of the red peas (kidney beans) soup. But chicken, beef, or corn soup needs some pumpkin. And after my umpteenth cup of soup, I decided that I needed a savoury pumpkin muffin. This means that I'm still craving something sweet. The best way to deal with this may be to give up sugar for a bit. Wean myself, I guess. But I spy some sweet muffins on this month's Muffin Monday list. Perhaps, one of them is what I need.



Savoury Pumpkin Muffins 
Ingredients 
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 small onion, diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 cup pureed pumpkin
3/4 cup water or milk
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs 

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a muffin tin or line with cupcake wrappers. 

Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cayenne pepper. Toss in the onions and thyme. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, water or milk, oil and eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix together.  The batter is very thick so be careful not to overmix. 

Fill each muffin well almost to the top. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Tastes great warm and at room temperature. 




Muffin Monday

post signature

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, please, Kelly! Especially since you've added some cayenne as well. You can serve these lovelies with soup and point to them if anyone asks where the missing pumpkin is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    Yum, a savory muffin with pumpkin? I'm in. I bet these would be terrific with butternut squash puree as well.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love serving savory muffins with soup and I'm happy for another recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious, and I love the peek into Jamaican culture too. I have a cup of leftover pumpkin puree, and these might be on my menu very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of these alongside a warm cozy fall soup - delicious!

    ReplyDelete