Pages

Friday, June 20, 2014

Cantaloupe Salsa - Crazy Ingredient Challenge



Cantaloupe and capers. Those are the two ingredients Dawn from Spatulas on Parade chose for this month's Crazy Ingredients Challenge. When you read cantaloupe and capers, what comes to mind? Because absolutely nothing came to my mind when I heard those ingredients. Nothing. I was completely blank. I was just going to sit this month out. I have a lot going on anyway. But the truth is, these cooking groups are my little escape. I look forward to making my dishes and reading about everyone else's. I started thinking.



Flatbread?
Gazpacho?
Bruschetta?
Salsa?
Add pepperoni somehow?

I went back and forth. The truth is, all of those had these would have pretty similar ingredients so even up to the point when I was peeling the cantaloupe, I was still unsure about what I would make. It ended up being this salsa and I have to say that I am glad this was my final choice. I like it. It all works together. Nothing seems strange. It's like cantaloupes and capers were always supposed to be together in a salsa.


This is a pretty simple recipe and I encourage you to adjust to your specific tastes. It will all work well in the end. Somehow. Onions would go well but I don't like biting into raw onions and wasn't in the mood for the extremely fine dice that it would take for me to like it. I think this would go great with fish. I just had it with my eggs one morning.




post signature




Cantaloupe Salsa

Ingredients
2 cups cantaloupes, diced
1 plum tomato, diced
1/2 jalapeno, diced
2 tablespoons capers, chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Directions 
Toss together all the ingredients. Taste and adjust ingredients, if necessary. Chill for a few hours before serving.


HunngryLittleGirl


7 comments:

  1. I like this! See and you were going to sit out this month. I knew you could do it! I have another cantaloupe just waiting to be made into one of the dishes shared today, or maybe two of them :)
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I guess sitting it out is me taking the easy way out - avoiding the challenge.Tsk. Tsk.

      Delete
  2. I think, I would have run the other way when I saw the two ingredients but you did something, I can see working. Salsa is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think running is always the first thing I think of when the ingredients are revealed.

      Delete
  3. I like this idea a lot! I am always on the lookout for a salsa that has a sweet element. I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add any herb that you may like in your salsa. I can't taste cilantro so I don't use it.

      Delete
  4. This salsa and fish? Yum! And maybe with a little basil? Great idea.

    ReplyDelete