I have been craving carrot cake for months. It's one of my favourite cakes - second to the great chocolate. But each time something would happen and I'd bake something other than carrot. Banana was the latest cake to take over my brain and I made a banana cake from Food52. While I enjoyed it, there were changes that I wanted to make (way too small!). And suddenly it was a carrot vs banana tug of war. I simply could not choose. And that's a long way of telling you how I decided to add cherries to a carrot banana cake for this month's Bundt Bakers. The cravings made me do it.
This cake is more "bread-like" than "cake-like". It's extremely moist from the bananas, fresh cherries and carrots. I just could not stop eating it.Normally, most of a cake goes straight to my freezer and I eat pieces for a little while. This never made it to the freezer. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. Passing by the kitchen. I was nibbling. If I made this again, I'd use dried cherries instead of fresh ones - all that chopping was no fun. Plus, I think I'd love the contrast of tart cherries here.
Oh, I should address the lack of a frosting. I love carrot cake plus cream cheese frosting and I am sure that banana cake plus cream cheese frosting is amazing too. However, I just could not convince myself to make one. If you make this and you love cream cheese frosting, I say go for it. Make it a spicy one. I was happy without it (and it definitely made eating it for breakfast easier) but I would also be happy with it.
Felice at All That's Left are Crumbs chose stone fruits for us this month. Look what the other Bundt Bakers made:
- All-American Chocolate Cherry Pie Cake from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Black Forest Bundt Cake with Cherry Ganache Topping from Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Cherry Almond Ginger Bundt from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cherry Carrot & Banana Bundt from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Avocado Bundt Cake from Terri at Love and Confections
- Cinnamon Peach Bundt Cake from Bea and Mara at I Love Bundts
- Peaches n Cream Melba Bundt Cake from Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Peachy Bundt from Margaret at Tea and Scones
- Plum, Chocolate and Orange Bundt Cake by Maria at Box of Stolen Socks
- Roasted Cherry Kugelhopf with Cherry Bourbon Glaze by Tux from Brooklyn Homemaker
- Upside-down Apricot Butter Bundt from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cherry Chocolate & Banana Bundt
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 butter, melted and cooled
1 cup bananas (~ 2 large), mashed
1/4 cup yogurt
1/4 cup milk
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped fresh cherries
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Thoroughly grease and flour a 10-12 cup Bundt pan.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar until pale and frothy then pour in the melted butter and bananas.
Add half the flour mixture and mix until almost combined - there should still be streaks of flour. Add the yogurt and milk and the second half of the flour mixture - again mixing until almost combined. Fold in the carrots and cherries - mixing only until just combined.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.