I have been doing a lot of traveling lately. I've missed two things so far - a specific large supermarket chain and the sun. I never appreciated the brilliant South Florida sunshine until now. Bleak winter mornings may look great in a stylistic picture but they are just not for me.
For this month's Bread Bakers, Anshie challenged us to make griddle breads. I chose to make Welsh Cakes which are like a cross between a biscuit and a scone. They're slightly sweet thanks to the sugar, dried fruit and an optional dusting of powdered sugar. Mine are a bit on the small side since the only make shift cutter I had is two inches in diameter. Make them whatever size you like best.
Look below the recipe for other griddle bread recipes.
Welsh Cakes (adapted from BBC Good Food)Ingredients
225 grams flour
85 grams sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
100 grams butter, cold
50 grams raisin
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk, more or less may be needed
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, mixed spice and salt. Cut the butter into cubs then cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Stir in the raisins and the beaten egg. Add just enough milk to form a fairly stiff dough.
Roll out the dough approximately 1/4 inch thick. Cut out 2-3 inch rounds.
Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Lightly grease the pan and cook the Welsh cakes until lightly brown on each side. It helps to cook one first just to see how long it will take. Adjust the heat as needed.
Serve warm with a bit of powdered sugar.
- Amaranth (Rajgira) Paratha from Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese and Potato Gözleme from Cook's Hideout
- Corn Pancakes from Magnolia Days
- Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from Noshing With The Nolands
- English Muffins from La cocina de Aisha
- Fruity Hemp Seed Pancakes from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Griddle Scones from Hostess At Heart
- Homemade Corn Tortillas from Kylee Cooks
- Lachha Paratha - Indian Layered Flatbread from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Masala Poli - Spicy Potato Masala Stuffed Poli from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Masala Roti from Sneha's Recipe
- Paneer Kulchas - Griddle Fried Cottage Cheese Flatbread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Paruppu Poorana Poli from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Peanut Butter and Apple Griddle Cakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Phool Makhana Parathas (Puffed Lotus Seeds Parathas) from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Saffron Unleavened Bread from Kidsandchic
- Satpadi - Spiced Griddle Bread from Spiceroots
- Scallion Pancakes from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sourdough English Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Loli - Breakfast Flatbread from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach and Feta Gözleme from Spill the Spices
- Stacked Apple Arepas from The Schizo Chef
- Staffordshire Oatcakes with a Bacon & Cheese Filling from Ruchik Randhap
- Stove-Top Muffins (Diphaphata) from Wholistic Woman
- Swedish Polar Bread from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Vitumbua (Coconut Rice Pancake Balls) from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Welsh Cakes from Passion Kneaded
- Yeast Raised Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Pastry Chef Online
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.