Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Marmite Muffins - #MuffinMonday



I opened the jar and stared at the dark coloured contents. I took a deep breath. Oh sure, I was being dramatic. But the contents of the little jar sitting in front of me are polarizing. Love or hate. And most say that those who love it, acquired the taste. I did not have time to acquire a taste. It was this or nothing. I was going to make muffins with Marmite.

I'm not going to lie to you, if you don't like Marmite, these muffins are not for you. I could have added more cheese. I could have used less Marmite. Hidden that very bold Marmots taste. But that wouldn't be in keeping with the theme of my year and the theme of this month's Muffin Monday. Leap of Faith.

I went all in.

I still don't know how I feel about Marmite. At this point, I neither love it or hate it. I was wary when I first bit into a muffin. But I happily took the next few bites. Maybe I'm already acquiring a taste for Marmite? I better. That tiny jar was pricey!

Here's to a year of taking leaps! Be sure to check out all the other muffins today.

Marmite Muffin
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
2 tablespoons Marmite
Cayenne pepper
Directions
Whisk together flour and baking powder. Add the grated cheese and toss to evenly distribute.
In a separate bowl, whisk milk, oil, egg and Marmite.

Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Divide among 10-12 muffin wells. Bake at 425F for 5 minutes, lower heat to 350F for another 13-15 minutes.

Notes
Add more cheese!! Sprinkle tops  with cayenne or paprika and cheese



#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page. post signature

4 comments:

  1. My husband grew up eating Marmite so it's a staple in our home. I have little by little grown to like it, but just spread thinly. He slathers it on! I'm going to make your muffins for him, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to Google marmite. You are a brave one!!! You definitely embraced the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess I have never heard of Marmite. Time for some research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,
    You're right--it's a polarizing flavor along with cilantro and, apparently, rosewater! Learning new things this Muffin Monday. Good for you for going for it this year--well done!

    ReplyDelete